Re-Entry Plan for 2020-2021
- Gilmer County will go on a five day regular schedule.
- All professional staff’s work day - 7:45 am to 3:45 pm
- All students will wear a face covering on the bus and will be seated according to family and bus stops. We will load the back of the bus and move forward. A mask will be provided to those that do not have their own entering the bus.
- Buses will unload one at a time. Students will walk through temperature scanners entering the building with a person stationed to assist if needed. Students will “grab and go” breakfast and report to their home room.
- Evening dismissal will be limited to 2-3 buses at a time to decrease hallway traffic. Buses will be announced for departure.
- Students’ schedules will be developed so “core grouping” can occur. Students will remain in these pods for the day. The only exception will be high school scheduling where social distancing will be observed. Modified block scheduling will also be utilized so students are only transitioning once before lunch and once after lunch. 8 periods will still be the schedule but on alternative days.
- Hallways, cafeterias, bathrooms, stairways, and walkways will be marked with directional flow and social distancing.
- Face covering will be provided to all employees and students as needed.
- Disposable masks will be purchased for each student for daily use.
- Masks/face coverings will be worn by everyone in shared spaces (ie hallways, bathrooms, commons area).
- Visitors will be limited to only essential business. No volunteers or college observers will be granted access to buildings,
- Cafeterias will be utilized with 50% capacity for lunch. All breakfast will be in the rooms.
- Cooks and custodians will be required to wear face coverings.
- Shields will be purchased for: school offices (front desk, principals, counselors) PPE will be purchased for each school.
- Custodian’s schedules will be adjusted so a deep clean will occur daily at each building.
- Refilling station will be purchased for water fountains so students will have access to water without cross contamination.
- Plan B: Full remote learning – staff will undergo training on Schoology at the beginning of year to be able to convert to online. Beginning of school (Professional Development) will be dedicated to training staff.
Gilmer County’s plan was developed with the WVDE guidance:
Gilmer County Preschool Enrollment
Please schedule a time to enroll your preschool student by contacting Shelly Mason
email at skmason@K12.wv.us or 304-462-7386 X 108
DMV Driver Eligibility Certificate
For Instruction Permit or License
1. Request Form for the Driver Eligibility Certificate is requested by the student at the SCHOOL OFFICE.
2. Completed Request Form will be submitted by the student to the Truancy Diversion Specialist in Room M102d located in the Media Center.
School attendance, behavior and satisfactory academic progress are conditions of licensing for privilege of operation of motor vehicle
3. Status of student is checked and if the student is determined eligible, the school principal will sign the Driver Eligibility Certificate and submit it to the County Attendance Director for approval.
4. Upon approval, the certificate will be available for the student to pick up in Room M102d.
TIME LINE: Please allow approximately one week to complete this process (from date of request by student, until issuance of certificate). Submitting the Request Form 5 days prior to going to the DMV will ensure that you have the necessary documentation from Gilmer County Schools as needed. The Driver Eligibility Certificate will expire in 30 days from the date issued.
The Gilmer County Board of Education will be having a budget hearing on Friday May 29, 2020 at 5:30pm to approve the FY 2021 Budget. Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, the meeting will be hosted at the board office or via Microsoft TEAMS. Anyone from the public is welcome to call in and join the…
The US Department of Education requires the WV Department of Education to “provide the public and all LEAs in the State with notice of the opportunity to comment on this request (e.g., by posting information regarding the waiver request and the process for commenting on the state website.” Please feel free to access the letter…
Please click here to view. Please submit all comments to Patricia Lowther, email@example.com
Please check under the “Our Schools” section for access to the Strategic Plans for our district and schools.
Gilmer County School District AR(Accelerated Reader) reading data. Click HERE for data.
Click on the “Policies for Repeal” or “Policies for Review” link in the menu bar to review. Proposed Gilmer County Board of Education policies will be placed on review at this website periodically so citizens may read them and offer comments before they are considered for adoption or repeal. Comments may be delivered in person,…